When you separate from your partner, you may have a reduced income to live on. Applying for tax credits may be a way of increasing your income and relieving the stress a little. Whether you can get tax credits, and how much you can get, depends on your own circumstances.

Tax credits are payments from the government. If you’re responsible for at least one child or young person, you may qualify for Child Tax Credit.

If you work, but are on a low income, you may qualify for Working Tax Credit.

If you’ve got children you could get tax credits, but you don’t need to have children to claim. You may also qualify if you are working and on a low income.

Working Tax Credits

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) provide an online working tax credits calculator. You can use the working tax credits calculator to see whether you are eligible to receive working tax credits.

For more information about Working Tax Credit eligibility and amounts, you can also visit gov.uk.

Tax Credit Helpline

If you want to claim tax credits you will need to contact the Tax Credit Helpline on 0345 300 3900. You should also use the Tax Credit Helpline number to report a change in circumstances, renew a Tax Credit claim or if you have a question or need advice on Tax credits.

Sources: gov.uk, advice now.org.uk, Citizen’s Advice Bureau, Sorting Out Separation